Thursday 10 February 2011

Blogs, Twits, Tweets and G Men. Oh! and delicious pastries.

Amazing what a day can entail.
In 24 hours I have gone from never having blogged, to having learnt to blog to having posted my first blog. I created a gmail account (who knew that admitting only having a hotmail account labelled you as a dinosaur anyway) and I also created a twitter account. Amazing really because when I grew up, G MAIL was stuff received in the post by G MEN ( a term for the FBI) and I remember being told that a Twit was a pregnant gold fish (which it isn't, but I believed it for a decade).
So now Im a Twit, that Tweets.
Old dog, new tricks, proof yet again that the sayings of my mother where wrong.
So today, in the kitchen consisted of a us working on a simple lunch, a dinner and a birthday cake, all just in a days work. None of these desserts will feature in upcoming books we are working on, but some are for future endeavours.
The funny thing about working on cruise ships is that while you are on them, you just want to get off. But after a short time off, you just want back on. I am guessing the same can be said about owning your own business. DIP ME IN CHOCOLATE was a great success in , Vancouver, Canada when I had the business in the late 1990’s. I was eventually glad to get out after working for days weeks and months without a break.
Time heals old wounds and the healing process must be complete, because now I just want to have my own business again. It will this time be based on the cuisine of the Middle East. I am passionate about this region of the world and its cuisine.

Something that may not seem quite so obvious when you see the birthday cake I made today as it took on a French feel. Thankfully if nothing else, the years on cruise ships gave me a template for the Eiffel Tower. Some things you always thank yourself for never throwing away.

Tomorrow we will see if I have the art of the "HORSE" within me.( I wish there was a horse template) Yep I have been asked to do a cake featuring one of the animals and I am scared to the core. The last time I made a horse was during  a lecture in the 90's , it was a margarine carving and it looked more artistic pony than horse. Tomorrow's cake will be under more intense scrutiny so my horse skills better have aged as well as I have. How hard can a horse's head truly be to create? Failing that, I simply won't publish the photo I guess. Time will tell.

The desserts we created today were a Buche Safran, Saffron mousse with Saffron glaze and a core of honey mousse wrapped in Agali Sponge( a traditional Savoy sponge recipe enhanced with rosewater, saffron and “lauwz” or small Arabic almonds). Accompanying in the morning was a Lychee Panna Cotta with Pomegranate Glaze.

Buche Safran

Lychee Panna Cotta with Pomegranate Glaze and Fresh Pomegranate


After lunch we made Pierre Hermes recipe for Plaisir Sucre, a Cube Chocolat , Pistache with its towering display of green (white chocolate) spheres and Abricotine Almondine a delicious combination of chocolate brownie, chocolate creameux, apricots and almond mousse. I wish there had been more to enjoy the deliciousness of the finished products, but what can I say other than , trust me, they were all delicious.
Plaisir Sucre

Pistache 

Cube Chocolat

Abricotine Almondine
Until next time, a Bientot, Au Revoir, and see you soon!!! I wonder what tomorrow will bring us all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment