Thursday 10 May 2012

COOKING SCHOOLS - Investing in yourself and your Career !!

I read an online comment by someone recently that stated "Don't waste your money on overpriced pastry schools." 
Seems the person took negatively to the comments I had also posted on LinkedIn advising a young new comer to the industry about the schools in which I have had the pleasure to train and learn...
Yes,"Pastry Schools" are not cheap...but instead of thinking of this as an expense, think of it as an investment..!!
Once you have trained in any given trade, the learning does not END on the completion of a four year apprenticeship...
In fact it really has only just begun.
I have been cooking now for 3O years and the reason I try to go to a cooking school "somewhere" other than my home area every year, is not really just to get educated, I think after 30 years I have a pretty good grasp of the whole Pastry trade, but mores the reason I go to School every year is to re-learn and remind myself of the skills that working hard and fast in our industry can remove from you...
I invest in reminding myself that taking time and care in production ends with better production methods, smoother flow of production and greater volume of production.
I go to remind myself the reason little tricks where taught to me 30 years ago and the reason some tricks should never be forgotten.
I go to remind myself that trends change in a heart beat and finally I go to remind myself exactly why after 30 years I am still in love with pastry....because it is simply amazing to create food people adore every day.

Many people expect the career they choose to just reward them with ever increasing incomes year after year, but even a bank account or investment never grows unless you invest into it... The more you give the bigger the reward.
And thats why I go to school every year.
To invest in a richer future for myself and for my customers and clients.
There is no such thing as a "wasted investment" in my eyes, if you are serious about your trade. We can never learn enough, we are simply not on the planet long enough to ever  know enough and even if a skill is not learnt then sometimes the richer reward can simply be to show you that you are better than you imagined.
I for one will always "INVEST" into my self, invest in my career and invest in the taste possibilities for my customers because after 30 years, they all deserve nothing less.
In the words of MARK TWAIN....“Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.” and I could not agree more.


My favorite school for value for money and value of education is as mentioned on this site before BELLOUET CONSEIL... I love their professionalism, the ease of classes, the acceptance that we are all professionals and the fact that they have always made me feel comfortable despite the sometimes language divide.. ECOLE Bellout Conseil now headed by JEAN MICHEL PERRUCHON is one of the leading book publishers for our global industry today and their books are as precise and clean, methodical and clear as their classes. Class notes can be provided in English and French and some lecturers have understanding of both languages. (http://www.ecolebellouetconseil.com/) check their link for the lecturers....I have been going to Bellouet for many years now and their professionalism is second to none.
THE ECOLE BELLOUET CONSEIL TEAM


If Paris is too far then I have it on great note that SAVOUR School for Pastry and Chocolate,(http://www.savourschool.com.au/)...featuring internationally trained, and award winning chefs, Kirsten Tibballs, Paul Kennedy and Robyn Curnow host classes and international chefs (Some of the best chefs in the Pastry world) who conduct classes on their premises. Savour is also just releasing its own cookbook and for those who find the Australian state of melbourne closer and cheaper than flying to Paris, you will be rewarded by a city equally as delightful with just as numerous pastry shops to choose from for added education.
THE SAVOUR TEAM


EDUCATION is never wasted, sadly too few people invest in themselves and into their careers to truly get the rewards and bonuses that they could so easily achieve, and those that do, well , the world truly is their's to rule.

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "COOKING SCHOOLS - Investing in yourself and your Career !!". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- gelato base institutes dubai | gelato base institutes in dubai

    ReplyDelete