Saturday 5 September 2015

THE FIVE YEAR PLAN

A friend wrote to me today and ended the note with a quote that I adore and which awoke the writing slumber I have been within;

“The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium”- Norbert Platt


I'm not old in the conventional terms.
I'm old in the fact that I have, with the thanks of God, great parents and a little luck, been able to travel and do a lot of things.
If I were judged based on the average, I would indeed be a centenarian, at least.
If the average Joe publishes one book in a lifetime, then 16 must put my age limit in the high nineties, and so on, countries travelled, average 20; I'm up to 86, cities worked in, death defying feats tackled , bucket lists achieved!! Yup....Im just compiling my second bucket list having with great luck and grace, completely ticked the boxes on my first.

So Im old, in metaphorical terms.
And with age comes certain perspectives.
Take for instance a recent question by a peer; "so what is your 5 year plan?"

Seriously. Do we still do those!!
I had a five year plan when I was 18, it included writing a book ! I did that, wrote 5 within 5 years and travelled the world twice, once on a book tour meeting celebrities far beyond my age group and salary level.

In my mid twenties I had a five year plan, it included emigrating to another country. I did that, spent ten years in Canada, and continued to travel the world thanks to luck, publishing, and a career that allows you to work anywhere.

In my thirties my third five year plan was to become a Corporate Pastrychef, to lead a great team and to open a business. Ticked those boxes.

Late thirties, five year plan and early forties- five year plan were equally exciting and all equally fulfilled.

I'm now mid-forties. And as I said, in metaphorical terms Im old.
Im' so old and have enjoyed so much good fortune that I'm a little sick of hearing about five year plans.
'Peer' asking the question has probably never met anyone else like me before and that's unfortunate for me.
I just could not answer truthfully. You see management just don't get it..
My answer - 'the truth' - is that within the next five years I want to slow down, I want to stay put, I want to relish the moment ...... for five years at least.
This does not in anyway mean Im' old and slowing down, or that I have lost the edge of my career. Instead it means that I found a groove and want to work magic within it for a while.
Things take time here, and the first two years have had their rewards, ups and downs but it has taken so long to achieve what we set out to do, if I spent five years here, I still won't have achieved the requirements in my mind at the usual pace I like to work at.
If I did I would upset a lot of people.

I write like the wind. a thought comes to mind while walking through the park on the way home, a leaf falls on the ground, a car screech, a word whispered, all lead to hours in front of the computer writing pages for an intended novel.
Which novel I have no idea, there are countless dozens of started concepts.  And thats another reason for the wanted slow down. Not to give up, but to move forward at a pace where I can complete what has been begun on so many levels.

Passion is still within me for food like never before. So much I want to cook, but I get less and less time due to the stupidity of necessity. Ordering, menus, costings, appraisals, hirings, interviews, meetings and work in general all sap the time away from the chef within. I'm hungrier now for good food, than anytime in the last ten years.

So the answer is, I don't have a five year plan.
I don't need one.
Im happy where I am and I just want to be left alone to do great things, preferably with the support of others to allow me to do it. I'm content, but not complacent ! There is a huge difference.
Not really an answer one can give to just anybody.
Most people asking such questions are looking for inspiring words, like "I want to be a leader", "I want to be promoted", "I want to be here or there".
Me no.
I'm happy where I am. My wife and family are happy here too.

Who needs a five year plan.
My mother used to say, she did not need a five year plan because she may not be here in five years to see it come to fruition and therefore she would be judged to have failed at it.
I miss my mothers wisdom, and like her, after a number of successful five year plans I don't want anymore either.
I've achieved more than most and am happy to continue doing so, but without time stipulations these days.
If I live another five years then so be it.
I would hope that within that or a close time frame I have achieved another published title, in fiction or non-fiction. and I would hope that I had published a book under both my most successful guises one for each genre would make me even happier.

Metaphorically I am old.
With that does not come complacency but contentment.
I don't need to to achieve at the rate of knots anymore, I'm happy to achieve at any rate.
Death also does not scare me anymore , the end is nigh, now, then or sometime and I welcome it when it comes, even if its tomorrow.
It does not mean that I'm morbid, but so be it.
It's got to come sometime and better for me it can come while I relish the idea.
Bucket list is complete and while I am working on a second at the behest of friends, it is exactly that.
A secondary bucket list.
What filled the first was the heart felt desires that would see me sent to the grave in happiness. With it completed, I am filling time with the rest, not completing dying destinycal desires.
I have lived a great life and while no where near giving up, I just don't need to plan for a future like so many others.
I'm a simple guy. Im surrounded by those who love me and bring joy into my life. I have been blessed with great memories and have also lost many people who meant so much.

I'm a strong believer in the words of Jay-Z on this subject, "Whatever deity may guide my life, dear Lord don't let me die tonight. But if I shall before I wake, I'm only happy to accept my fate."

My five year plan, truth be told, is to wake up every morning, breathe in and out and continue to do what I do, the best way I know how.
If that makes others happy, great, if not, fine.
That's life.
See you in five years time I guess, to see if I have been successful.
Plan on that.





No comments:

Post a Comment