Tuesday 9 September 2014

AMAZING PLATED DESSERTS 2014/ 2015


I have always been blessed with amazing teams of chefs, and at the PENINSULA MANILA HOTEL I am yet again blessed with talented people surrounding me. Annalyn, Lawrence, Agnes, Agnes, Ador , "Thei" , Aries, Jermaine, Adonis, Mardi, Bong and Ferdie and my incredibly hard working Bakery team of Jedel, Xyrus, Rolando, Ryan, Yuki and those I may have inadvertently left out especially our casual contractual employees.

They all do their part to make sure our guests receive the best of the best on a daily basis. Their commitment and their skills blow me away and their creativity is exceptional. Just take a look...












PLATED DESSERTS

Desserts come in many forms and just as many styles. A la Carte, buffet, banquet, sit down, pass around and a few others I’m sure.

 Yearly we have to tweak our banquet menus at the hotel and so we endeavor down the path of gastronomic adventure of trying to entice customers flipping through mountainous pages of banquet menus to stop and to look at just a few very special desserts which we want them to choose.
What they want is one thing, what we want them to choose is another. You see, just like on a cruise ship where by you have perhaps 1-2000 people eating at the dining room for dinner , you can not do 2000 plates of over the top overtly elaborating plating.
Maximum we desire that a plate take fewer than 5 steps to plate. A sauce, a decoration, a main part and whatever else goes on the plate to engage the customer into gastronomical happiness.

5 steps sounds little, but times it by hundreds or thousands of plates per day and it still takes several people an hour or so to get the plates made stacked and wrapped for the banquet.
I am glad I am no longer on the cruise liners as the task seems far too daunting for me to undertake on a daily basis any longer.
More manageable and allowing for more finesse and creativity and few more steps is the banqueting dining we currently do where our maximums are in the 300-400 range.

I have always adored the plated dessert, ever since I was the soufflé king at Oskars Garden Restaurant cnr of Elkhorn and Orchid avenues in Surfers Paradise back in the mid eighties as a youngster. Those were the days. Sarah, Boys of Summer and a few other great songs blasting away on the radio, a private kitchen area which fitted one and an oven and a back door where the older chefs would sit and smoke, drink and tell stories, made it the most perfect part of growing up in all of my culinary education. Those years in the old Oskars are the most memorable of a 32-year career and the songs from those summers still bring a tear to my eyes to this day. Innocence lost, hardships fought and millions of miles travelled since those good ole days.

Today our dessert look different, our tastes have changed, but the exacting eye of the customer remains the same.
I hope you enjoyed our 2014 collection of current creations and few of the ones I have loved from the past few months banqueting.





1 comment: