Wednesday 15 August 2012

FASHIONABLY SPEAKING



On the bucket list of life,( yes that list of things to do before one kicks the proverbial), there are numerous things I want to start doing and numerous things I just want to do once….But today I added something new..
For years, in fact decades I have noted homeless people talking to themselves or to the air. Some people in my youth called them weird, mental, strange or even demented. It is apparently a form of dementia, a distant symptom of schizophrenia anyway.
Every country has them, “self talkers” that is.  I’ve even seen the homeless and forlorn in Paris talking to themselves, although it does sound nicer there, along with numerous other countries I have travelled.
In any case talking to invisible friends, talking to the air, talking to themselves, I never really thought of it as anything but weird or strange myself until today. 
When a gorgeous young friend put the subject line of her email to me, as Soliloquy..
Oh how romantic does that old word sound…!!
Who cares if people think you’re weird, strange, demented or a little off the planet, the thought of having a soliloquy by oneself just seems about the nicest thing, me, myself and I have done in ages.
I mean people sing to themselves and if they sing in tune then no one stops them do they? 
But if you don’t sing, or cant carry a tune and simply desire to talk, then you are seen as mentally unstable ? 
Why the difference ? 
And how to tell these days anyway. I saw a girl on the train platform in London not that long back and she was as mental as you could imagine, she laughed to herself, she swore expletives loudly and she threw her arms around almost hitting three or four other passengers. No one dared stop her. Actually we all kept our distance from this weirdo , her actions looked scary and she was dressed like a right loon too. Then just as I boarded my train I noticed she had an ear piece in and was talk via Bluetooth to a friend on her phone.  The sane and the insane, the rude and obnoxious, a very fine line these days indeed !
And before you state that speaking to yourself is a monologue, excuse yourself now, for a monologue is a speech where one character addresses other characters, and I don’t care to address anyone really.
And before you even consider suggesting then it must be an “aside”, well you will be corrected yet again for an “aside” is a usually short comment by one character toward a general audience. 
And I don't much care for one of them either.
I just want to recount life, chat with someone interesting and have a fab conversation “avec moi.” 
In some circles it is even seen as a stress reliever.
Apparently in the dramatic arts a “soliloquy” went out of fashion around the 18th century 
We’ll call me a trend setter because I’m bringing it back into fashion.
So as you drive down to the mall, if you see a large framed guy walking down the street thumping the air with his fist, laughing and talking to someone you can’t see, don’t laugh, , no I'm not talking into the phone using a Bluetooth device and I’m not completely demented, I’m just being fashionable and enjoying a good old “soliloquy.”
A "tete a tete", with someone I find interesting ! 
You should try it !
As it has been said before, “at least if I talk to myself, I can guarantee one person is listening!“

No comments:

Post a Comment