Thursday 7 July 2011

Giving Thanks, Every Day !!

I have been contemplating Thanks Giving lately.
I'm not American and I have not lived in or worked in the US now for 6 years, but the idea of a day dedicated to giving thanks for anything and everything has begun to weigh on me a lot.
I just like the idea of a day of family, friends, turkey and pumpkin pie. I miss that kind of life style. The Middle East is too hot to eat such an extravaganza, (although we try somedays).
As a Pastry Chef I also love the idea of pumpkin in desserts and the flavors that associate themselves so well with it. MR Skoolan was an American Exchange teacher I had in grade 3 or 4. I guess these days he has to be in his 60's. In the 1970's he spoke to our class of Independence Day , Thanks Giving and all things American. He taught us, about Pumpkin pie, Hungarian Goulash (Don't ask me why) and other favored dishes of his own youth.
His recipe for Pumpkin pie, which we only ever knew as Mrs Skoolan's Pumpkin Pie recipe (his mother's), has stayed with me since Grade 4 and is still the recipe I use in the professional kitchen to this very day. Perhaps it was as far back as Grade 3/4 that I really developed a desire for pastry, or perhaps it was just good luck that I retained such a recipe.
Today , everyone has a Pumpkin pie of choice. I still relish the flavors, but have changed them into a roulade and a dessert based on the "idea" of Pumpkin pie. Crust of cinnamon sable, Pumpkin mousse, and pumpkin tuilles and some extreme vanilla marshmallow to sweeten the plate and all topped with a sweet maple syrup mascarpone cream for topping.
The Roulade is a pumpkin sponge with walnuts, maple syrup infused mascarpone cream and Egg Nog and pumpkin mousse centre.
Modern version of Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin and Walnut Roulade with maple Syrup mascarpone Cream and Eggnog and Pumpkin Mousse Centre
To be able to cook and create like this, makes anyone want to Give-thanks every day of the year, not just in the US and not just on Thanks Giving Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment